Cookie Warning


Cookie Warning: Sorry, Cookie-Haters, but this blog may contain cookies. Hey, Cookie-Lovers: let's celebrate! C'mon, give me some palm!


Friday, October 16, 2015

One Invincible Cover

My friend Justin Ponsor is one of the premier colorists at Marvel Comics. So when I saw that he was helping launch the new series of Invincible Iron Man, I had to check it out.


The first issue I picked up had a pretty awesome cover. It made me want to look inside, so I did. Then I saw this bad boy. I quickly discovered that Justin had actually colored this cover, which instantly made it more special. Given the level of detail required, covers usually take much longer to color than interior pages. So if Marvel asked him to do the issue and the cover, the management is going all out to produce a spectacular first issue.

From what I can tell, there are actually eleven different variant covers floating around out there, so there are a lot of fans hungry to pick up this first issue of the new Iron Man series.


Here's another big surprise. Open the cover, and there's another whole cover for you to enjoy, this time without all the print to obscure the detailed drawing. Another plus: for this first issue, the outer cover is much thicker than usual. So it feels more like a real book, instead of a flimsy comic.



I don't have many wraparound comics in my collection, so when I noticed that the back continued the story begun on the front, I was even more impressed. That's twice as large a beautifully drawn and colored image as I was expecting. And just as the first page reproduces the cover without the titles, the last page reproduces the back cover on interior paper stock. So you not only get a full issue, but two wraparound covers! 

You know, If you were so inclined, you could separate one of the covers from the issue, and put it up on the wall. It's perfectly suitable for framing. But that might be going a bit too far. After all, what true comic lover would dare take apart a beautifully made comic like this, even if it was colored by Justin Ponsor?

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment